Re: [TenTec] Eagle owners....need input, please.

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle owners....need input, please.
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:53:15 +0200
John,

Is it awkward?  YES
Is it a big problem?  NO

There are many things on an Eagle that require pushing the <FUNC> button
before pushing the feature button.
The alternative is to have a larger radio with twice as many buttons.

If you rarely use split, it is probably a bigger problem than if you use it
often.
When you use it often, you quickly commit the steps for using it to memory
and your fingers exercise the necessary steps without much thinking.

My pet peeve is the VFO speed selection.  It is a 5-step push button which
only goes in one direction.  So if I want to go back one step in the other
direction, I need to push the button 4 times.  This takes about one second
to execute so it is not problem in practice; it's just a problem in my head
because I know there is a better way to do it.

QSK is Ten-Tec-like.  That is probably the best description.

Performance is OUTSTANDING.
In a contest, in the worst of worst conditions, there are very few radios as
good, and none are better at pulling in signals out of a crowded band.

I have owned a K3 and two Orions and contested with all of these.

73
Rick, DJ0IP