Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation
From: <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 23:21:28 +0000
Higher output from the device before distortion occurs.   You can only get so
much power out of a PA with a 12V power supply before you drive it into
distortion.  100W is pushing it at 12 v so distortion occurs...that same PA
with a supply of 48V is capable of providing that same level of power very
cleanly....  There are peaks that exceed the supplies capabilities at 12 V

I guess a very simplistic parallel would be battery operated power tools...(I
know tech guys...poor choice) you may have noticed over the years that they
went from 12V batteries to 14.4 to 18 and higher voltages...because of the
limited amount of power available at a given voltage.

I guess if we all ran our 100W PEP radio’s at 50w PEP the problem would be
greatly reduced because we wouldn't bump into the power supplies limitations
and resulting distortion.

Same concept applies to the Mixers listed below...if you want to drive them
hard you need to have enough supply voltage and current available to keep their
output clean.

Hope that helps a bit...

Thanks,

Cecil Acuff