Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx
From: Robert Arenella <rja12@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:01:51 -0400

On 7/29/2013 11:31 PM, Richards wrote:

 > A second question is what lightning protection devices are preferred
 > for securing open transmission line?
 >
 > ===============  K8JHR  ================

I'm not sure what is "preferred", but what I use is a large DPDT knife
switch, one side to the tuner, the other position to ground.

Although I don't use one, there is always the ever-popular dual spark
gap as shown in the old (and maybe newer?) Handbooks.

Finally, for static mitigation there is the high value resistor from
each open wire conductor to ground.

73,
Carter   K8VT

Another option is to use a pair of plate chokes from each half of the feedline to ground. I have a friend up in NH using this setup. Keeps the antenna & feedline DC grounded. Lightning isn't his big problem, static electricity generated by blowing snow was creating havoc at his station. The chokes solved the problem.

73 de bob,
N2OAM