Re: [TenTec] Explanations of the Different Types of Filtering on Radios

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Explanations of the Different Types of Filtering on Radios
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:51:37 -0700
On 8/30/2013 7:33 AM, Will Jones wrote:
"I have an I.F. shift on my radio and I have read about what it does but don't really
understand "what" it does. Also how does it compare to the other features I see on
radios such as PBT, notch filters, RIT, DSP noise reduction and noise blankers.

The next meeting would be a great opportunity for someone to bring his copy of the ARRL Handbook, and open it to Chapter 12, which is about receivers. It talks about the superheterodyne principle, the advantages of using it, flitering in the IF, multiple IFs, the bandwidth of various signals, and so on.

One of the best things we can do with a new ham, or with any ham who wants to learn, is point them to the Handbook.

73, Jim K9YC