Re: [TenTec] Value of RX Only Antennas

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Value of RX Only Antennas
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 22:29:29 +0200
Barry, could you back that up with some specifics please?
I don't know what they tested in 1999;  maybe trap tribanders?
If so then yes, of course.

One of the dangers when comparing trap beams to monobanders or beams like
the SteppIR or some of the wire/fiberglass beams is, the trap beams only
show maximum gain near the center of the bands.  Performance drops off
rapidly with the trap tribanders near both ends of the bands.  In fact they
often have only the performance of a dipole on band ends.

The monobanders and the multiband beams with several aluminum elements
(i.e., Optibeam, Force12, etc.), as well as some of the wire beams do fair
well against the SteppIR.  Of course the beauty of the Stepper is its
ability to reverse directions almost instantly.  However if we talk about
reliability, the story changes slightly in favor of beams with no moving
parts.

73
Rick, DJ0IP