[TenTec] Working on PC board mounted RF power transistors

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Working on PC board mounted RF power transistors
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:58:08 -1000

My Wellers are the models WP-40 and WP-25. My 'screwdriver tip' on the WP-25 is probably 1/32 across the rounded tip.

I like Weller soldering irons too. There are so many kinds (of any brand) that it is important to pay attention to details. It is not just the power rating of the iron that matters, it is the temperature control. For desoldering RF power transistors from the printed circuit board you want the thermal mass and heater power rating of the larger irons. Say around 25 watts or more. You do not want that heating power uncontrolled though. Any iron with sufficient power rating for this job, without temperature control, can get to much higher temperatures than you want to subject your PCB to. If you use a lower power rated non-temperature controlled iron, to keep the temperature from getting too high, then it will not have enough heat capacity to do the job.

If you don't have the power, you'll have to mess with it longer and damage stuff. If you have the power and too high temperature you'll damage stuff quickly.

Weller (and others) make irons with magnetic thermal switches in the tip assembly, that switch the heater on and off to maintain a fairly constant temperature. That or some other temperature controlled iron is what you want. You do not want an iron that is just always on. Yes you could be successful with one of these, using a Variac or SCR control. I don't recommend it. Temperatur controlled irons cost less than many RF power transistors, and less than the trouble of replacing a damaged PCB. Plus they have applications for many other jobs.

DE N6KB