Re: [TenTec] 160 M antenna

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 160 M antenna
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 10:07:34 +0100
Eric,

I don't know how to answer that question.
The smart-ass answer would be, "I get 200 kHz, because it is usable across
the entire band. (hi)

The FIRST QUESTION is, how do you define bandwidth?
I know we like to define an SWR bandwidth for antennas as the frequency
range less than of 2:1.
Why?
SWR has hardly anything to do with the quality of our signal.
People who worship their SWR meters are praying to a false God.

The antenna itself (especially on 160m) is quite usable with an SWR of up to
5:1.*
In fact in the ARRL handbook, they even go one better and say "up to 6:1".*

*Provided we use a short run of high quality coax.

What REALLY matters for obtaining a good signal are the things Jim (K9YC)
pointed out in his answer.

The SECOND QUESTION is, would you like the answer to be as measured at the
antenna feedpoint or at the end of the coax in the shack?  The answers are
different.

As in most every discussion where we (the group, not just you and I, Eric)
discuss, we often end up disagreeing, only to find we have been disagreeing
the semantics, not the technology.

Therefore I prefer to show people stuff, rather than describe it with words.

Then everybody can draw their own conclusion based on what they see, not on
what they think they read.

I have created a document describing how my 160m antenna is made and showing
in my own [lack of] artistic way, how it is running on my property.  Then I
show the SWR curve at the antenna, measured with about 1 ft. of coax, and on
the next page I show the SWR curve measured in the shack.

Using the curves shown, everyone can define bandwidth any way they please
and using their own definition, they can determine the bandwidth of my
antenna.

Its PERFORMANCE:  despite my horrible QTH, I worked 47 countries on 160m
during the CQWW 160m contest earlier this year.

Here is EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW (AND MORE) about my 160m
Inverted-L antenna:
http://www.dj0ip.de/my-station/current-2012/160m-inverted-l/

73
Rick, DJ0IP