Re: [TenTec] WARNING OFF TOPIC message regarding a backup headset discou

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WARNING OFF TOPIC message regarding a backup headset discount
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 04:52:39 -0800
On 12/2/2013 1:24 PM, Richards wrote:

But having just repaired my friend's CM-500 boom mic last week, and after getting tired of loaning my backup Shure and AudioTechnica cans to the contest group (twice - each time during the CQ WW 160 contest) - you might consider an inexpensive backup set, for your shack.

Two thoughts. First, the Yamaha and Koss headsets are 20% of the cost of a Heil headset, they sound better, and are more comfortable. You can buy four and still be ahead of the game. I bought three Yamaha headsets 3-4 years ago, and retired one of them whose cable broke. Yes, I could have paid $250 for a nice Sennheiser headset and could have bought a replacement cable for $50. But I can buy a Yamaha or Koss for $45. Duh!

Second, there is nothing to be gained from "rah-rah" and "my team is better than your team" brand loyalty, and I discount the comments of those whose brains are biased in that direction. i didn't discover the Yamaha headsets -- W6XU did -- but I've recommended them to many others.

73, Jim K9YC