Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM500 headset and Orion II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM500 headset and Orion II
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 19:14:06 -0800
On 12/14/2013 4:50 PM, Phil Sikes wrote:
r use a
commercial version? If home brew, what did you use? Secondly, I would like
to dump the battery box that brings power to the electrets element (2xAA's)
and make use of the +10vdc at the mike connector.

VERY simple. Make an adapter with a jack that mates with the 1/8-in plug and wire it to a plug that fits the Orion. Add a 5.6K resistor from +10V to the mic pin. Virtually no current, so you can use a very low wattage resistor and fit it inside the mic connector.

No PAD should be needed. The mic is fairly high output, but I've never seen a rig that couldn't be turned down enough. Also, it's best not to crowd the mic to prevent popping and bass boost. I place the mic alongside my face between eye level and nose level.

73, Jim K9YC