Re: [TenTec] Headset Reccomendation

To: Ed Purvis <wa4njy@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headset Reccomendation
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:44:35 -0500
See my notes here:

http://k8jhr.com/files/headset_notes_and_reecommendations.pdf

http://k8jhr.com/files/mic_adapter_project_sm_ver_2.pdf

http://k8jhr.com/files/koss_3000_headset_final_report_sm_nitro_.pdf

Also...
You may have seen my piece in the Nov QST page 64 on how I connect a computer type gaming headset to the radios.

I see you are interested in on "on-ear"type of headset receiver. I personally like headset receiver pads which encircle or go around the ear, and rest on my head/neck - for two reasons: 1) On-the-ear receivers tend to squash the ears against the head and this becomes uncomfortable after awhile; and 2) they are usually, but not always, open air type which let in a lot of ambient noise - such as from cooling fans, and even the ones that are supposed to be closed on-ear types often let in more ambient noise than I like. But this is a very personal subjective matter, but seeing as you did ask! ;-)

Lately I have been building various headsets from headphones and separate microphones, and assembling my combinations. I like the Shure WH-20 mic boom (Shure replacement part WPM104) and this can be connected to almost any set of cans with a small nut and bolt. I run the cables for both mic and headphones together - sometimes combining them with shrink tubing. Sometimes I use the stainless steel mic boom arm from the Shure Model 512 / SM-2 / SM-10 line of headsets instead of the WH-20 - they both have the same mic cartridge inside.

I prefer dynamic headset mics, but electret can be made to work. See my article on matching to the rig, above, or in the Nov QST.

Most any headphones will sound good for SSB and surely any can play CW well - as nearly any headphone receiver will be linear over the range of CW and of human speech.

Favorite sets include:

AudioTechnica BPHS-1  $200   Nice, comfy, closed ears - my daily fave
KOSS x3000  $45    super value with 30 dB ! passive noise attenuation
Sennheiser HMD-45-6  $280   light-super comfy- open air
Superluxe  $85   Light-comfy-good value
Shure SM-2  - good mic - comfy - very durable -
KOSS SB-45 / SB-49 -   $40 good value - comfy - closed
Yamnaha CM-500 $60  - good value - comfy - closed -
                legendary rep among hams
Most any decent gaming headset will be the equal of the
        KOSS 45/49 and Yamaha CM-500

See my notes- per web link - above for more and post me if you have any questions.

Happy trails.