Re: [TenTec] What's going to get fixed?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What's going to get fixed?
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 21:45:41 -0600
They will work on basically any Tentec product. However, the cost of repair may likely exceed the value of the product. Now, you'll answer the question, how much are you willing to invest in the repair and how long are you willing to wait should parts procurement be an issue?

In years past, I did perform service for 3 different electronic dealers on ICOM, Yaesu, and Kenwood products, to name a few. Most of this was warranty service provided under contract to those dealers. In order to fulfill their Dealer Agreement, they were required to provide a level of service, both warranty and non-warranty.

In many cases the labor for some of these brands/models was excessive, even at the level of board swapping. In a large percentage of units, the cost of repair exceeded the value of the product thus it was less expensive to replace the product as opposed to repair. The idea of trouble shooting to component level is far beyond the realm of economics. It is very easy to invest some $50K to $75K in test equipment and fixtures to service some of these products. Then there has to exist the skilled and knowledge labor availability.

As I understand at present, and you'll need to check with Paul at Tentec Service, but they service the Orion's, the Omni VII, the Eagle, the Argonaut VI and a few of the specialized receivers is about the limit. There is some repair to Centurion and Titan amps as well. I do recall that the earlier radios, i.e. Paragon's and Omni VI Plus and earlier have some shortage regarding board availability and certain unique parts.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Manship" <mjmanship@iquest.net>