Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Brian Carling <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs
From: "R. Eric Sluder - W9WLW" <resluder@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:13:15 -0500
On February 26, 2014 11:51:38 AM EST, Brian Carling <bcarling@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
|How does the audio sound?
|
|You are starting to make me wish that I had an Omni VII but the
|ergonomic layout of the front panel would be a concern also.
|
|Best regards - Bry Carling
|

|> On Feb 26, 2014, at 11:49 AM, Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
|wrote:
|>
|>> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Brian Carling <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>
|wrote:
|>> Is the Omni VII capable of transmitting and receiving AM mode with
|appropriate bandwidth - as it comes stock?
|>

|> Yes

Bry,

Your reference to the ergonomics of the Omni VII front panel - what is your
concern?  Just a curiosity question on my part.

It did take me a few hours to get use to it, but I see where even on the new
and highly touted TS-590 you do some serious button pushing too.

The single tree menu in the Omni VII software is sweet.... you're not trying to
go thru layers of menu settings.

When it comes to layers, I always think of my TS-706MKiiG in how I can never
quite remember which menu layer a feature is in while mobile.  I have to pull
over to figure things out. :-( I'm not saying it deserves comparison to the
Omni VII, but all of these radios now-a-days have menus and "push and hold
button x while you press soft key y" so it just comes down to getting use to
the radio.

Just my observation of the Omni VII.

Eric
W9WLW