Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 06:31:22 -0500

On 2/26/2014 6:13 PM, R. Eric Sluder - W9WLW wrote:

I see where even on the new and highly touted TS-590 you do some serious button pushing too.

                I have a TS-590 and the Omni VII in my shack.

                I like both radios, but I prefer operating the
                Omni VII.  It is not so much the multiple pressing
                of buttons, as the fact the display only shows
                one menu item at a time, so you either press
                several buttons to adjust several things, or you
                must work the multi knob and scroll through like
                87 or more items sequentially to get what you want,
                which is NOT as quick and easy as looking at a
                list of 18 or 19 items at once, and quickly scrolling
                to the one you want.   Remembering the menu item
                numbers on the 590 is not as easy as just looking
                at a menu list and seeing what you want among
                the rest all at once.   (hard to describe...hopefully
                you get the gist. )
                menu item at a time

                I will send Brian a comparison piece I wrote
                that compares how stuff gets done with each
                rig and maybe that will help him judge for
                himself.    It IS a valid inquiry!

The single tree menu in the Omni VII software is sweet.... you're not trying to
go thru layers of menu settings.

                Amen.   The only way to get that sort of
                convenience in setting features is to use
                the ARCP-590 software.   I really like the
                Omni VII simple menu when I am in a hurry
                like during a contest or when trying to catch
                rare DX before the pile ensues, and I find
                the Omni VII menu way easier to navigate in
                a hurry like that.  You have to use the ARCP
                software to get anything close to a single
                menu.   The 590 has like 87 menu items
                and the Omni VII about half that number
                with 18 or 19 showing at any one time.

                I like both radios, but the Omni is easier to
                run, I think, than the 590.

                The Omni VII buttons are larger, with more space
                between them.   The features you change most
                encircle the main display.  The concept is easy.
                You press the feature you want, and adjust it with
                the Multi Knob.  That is the basic plan... select
                and adjust.   If you want to adjust another feature,
                just select it by pressing its front panel button
                and adjust the value with the multi knob.

                Once you get onto that procedure, it all sorta works
                the same way.  (OK... there might be an exception
                or two, but that is the gist of the process.)

Just MY take.

/