Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 21:42:09 -0600
Ah! I've noticed this but never understood it. At least with the Globe Champ
350, the power output can increase quite a bit off resonance to the right, but
the plate current also quickly gets way out of hand. I prefer using it to using
my Orion II and my AL-1200 on AM, even though I suspect the Orion II may be a
bit cleaner.

Anyway, I just tried it and, if I'm careful and limit the plate current
increase to no more than 5%, the power output goes up just a wee bit faster
than I'd expect based on the plate current increase alone. I had always
secretly worried that the PA stage wasn't properly neutralized but, after very
careful neutralization, I still saw it. I've modded my Champ so that it uses
tetrode 8643s rather than the unobtainable pentode AX9909s.

When I followed this tuning, it was as the very last step in the tuning
procedure, so I made no changes to the loading once I'd set the plate current.

Have I got the procedure correct?

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the
music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith