Re: [TenTec] QSK or not?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK or not?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:42:39 +0100
Bry, I ran QSK for about 40 years and wouldn't have it any other way.
But old age eventually creeps up on us.
About 10 years ago it began to annoy me.

As you say, "noise" is the key word here.
Didn't used to bother me but it does now.
I find it nerve-wracking and try to reduce it as much as possible.

Living in the country helps a lot.
Running a pre-selector helps a little.
But as you say, turning the RF Gain down is a big help.

I also always run attenuation on the low bands.  Sometimes even additional
external attenuation.  Of course for working real weak ones, you have to
turn it off, but I don't do that often.
And on the high bands, if the band is really open, I do not turn the preamp
on.

Old age is a bummer but the alternative is worse! (hi)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)