Re: [TenTec] Omni VI mystery

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI mystery
From: Toby Pennington <w4cakk@centurylink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:01:08 -0400

The Omni 6 could be way off frequency. I have owned a couple of them before and they were always off by some 30 to 50 hz or more on 20 meters, not so much on 75 meters. I use a K3 at times and the DSP filters are so sharp that when I tighten up the BW to 50 hz, I will not hear somone off frequency. Then when I widen the passband I can hear someone at 100 hz up the band calling me. Normally I would widen up the passband when calling CQ but sometimes forget.

If the Omni is putting out the power and you can get a power reading on a wattmeter, and have it connected to an antenna, you are transmitting somewhere. Check to see if RIT and XIT are turned off.

Toby K4NH