Re: [TenTec] (no subject)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] (no subject)
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 14:44:58 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Bob,

200 watt rigs have been out for a long time,
the FT1000D was likely one of the first or
at least most popular rigs with 200 watts.

IC781, 150 w ... with a higher voltage PA too.

Then the IC775 ... IC7700/IC7800 and so on.

TS950 series ... 150 w

FT2000D ... 200 w, FT9000D and so on ...

So any new concerns are perhaps a bit of an
overstatement? 150-200 w xcvrs are not new.

I agree some of the "more output" could be
for bragging rights, but not always.

One of the reasons for "more than 100" was
many amps need, and especially on 10m, a
bit more than 100 watts for true 1.5 kw out.

Like 2x 3-500Z or the older 4-1000A amps.

As in 125-135 watts. Using a 200 watt PA at
that level tends to be cleaner than when a
person goes inside their rig and cranks the
designed 100 w PA to be run at 125-135 w.

Many 100 w rigs really do not produce the
full 100 w on the higher bands, thus the
need for a bit more drive too.

SIDENOTE: many really older amps were NOT
designed for 1.5 kw OUT. The old 'full gallon'
was 1000 w input for many years. For some of
those 100 w is too much to not overdrive.

Repeated tests under marginal conditions
show a 1 dB difference can either make or
not make the QSO ... so 100w > 200w would
be 3 dB ... again a repeatable difference.

As to overdrive/etc ... that still happens
today ... when many of the higher $ amps
only require 35-45 watts of drive.

What we have today, is an operator educational
challenge, not a technology challenge per say.

73 de Billy, AA4NU