Re: [TenTec] (ham station computer choice)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] (ham station computer choice)
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 16:42:03 -0400

On 5/7/2014 2:35 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
James, you didn't give us any specifics.
"Which" Dell products?

        Nope - wrong forum.

        Trust me... it was NOT 25 years ago... and at one
        time I was as nearly as expert on speech recognition
        hardware as you are about radios.  And they WERE Dell
        business computers ... don't get me going on this.

        Please - Let it go at that, OK.  I can cited more actual
        cases than you have had beers.

        But, this will end up going WAY off topic... sorry
        I went there at all, now.

        I think you may be out of your element when it comes
        to discussing the history of speech recognition, so
        let it go now, OK.   I was a beta tester for every
        company in the market since 1992, except one (Phillips
        left the US market around 1999) and I was hired to
        test and review hardware for this use over many years.
        I had a direct line to the Chief Architect of Speech
        programs at Microsoft, the product manager and
        programming engineers at DragonSystems, and Nuance,
        and ScanSoft,  and also worked for Lerhnout & Hauspie,
        IBM, Kurzweil AI, and some others I am sworn not
        to even mention.  IBM once paid me a fee for the right
        to quote me on the product box.  Vendors compensated
        me for my reviews.  Even got a HEIL PR-20 microphone
        to review and then keep - sounds good in the shack,
        although I prefer Shure and Sennheiser gear most of
        the time.

        I was there as it developed.  So, let's call a
        truce now, OK.   This is not the place to debate
        computer gear.

When you build your own and it crashes once or twice per day,

                Bull puckey.   No crashes here.

Yes, it is usually easy to build your own, but sometimes shit happens.

                BUll puckey... no problems here!

                Just ain't so.   Let it go, Louie...!

                Please... do not make me hurt you!

                [He said all in good humor and to a good friend.]