Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?
From: James Boswell <jboswell@nrao.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 13:26:24 -0600
On 5/8/2014 1:06 PM, GARY HUBER wrote:
A local amateur recently chose to take a new Eagle on the 30 day evaluation
plan. He likes the receiver but has had problems with the transmitter (after a
few minutes on transmit the cooling fans spool up and the radio shuts down).
He communicated with Ten-Tec Service, followed instructions for power,
grounding, etc. but was unable to resolve the TX shutdown problem. The Eagle
was sent back to Ten-Tec for service, but upon return it appears to have the
same problems as before. I saw the Eagle and a disappointed customer this
morning. He is at or near the 30 day mark of the evaluation and is troubling
over a decision of returning the Eagle Friday morning to get his money back or
buying a radio with an apparent problem.

I have no skin in this game. I am a Ten-Tec Ambassador but to the best of my
knowledge, I have not been identified as such for this Eagle and will not
benefit one way or another. I am however a long time owner, user, and proponent
of Ten-Tec products and see the possibility of disappointed and dissatisfied
customer as the result of misunderstanding or miscommunication. Any positive
suggestions to solve this problem for a friend is greatly appreciated.

73 & DX,
Gary - AB9M

Gary,
Consider what is different between his station and the TenTec service center. This could be a bad coax jumper, antenna tunner or SWR meter, something you are overlooking. Take the radio to another station, a proven set-up and see if the problem repeats.

Several times I have bought like new equipment at sidewalk sales and found someone had bumped a switch into the wrong position, or a bad coax jumper. One time I bought a TenTec Corsair with a bad receiver, the jumper was missing from the back of the radio and the owner insisted on selling that piece of junk. That Corsair has anchored the club Field Day station the past few years.

        I hope this helps, 73'S  KA5SIW

    James B. Boswell                           JBoswell@NRAO.edu
    VLA Engineering Services                   Office: 575 835-7427
    National Radio Astronomy Observatory       C.Phone 505 412-3732
    Post Office Box 0
    1003 Lopezville Road
    Socorro, New Mexico  87801