Re: [TenTec] RX366 9 MHz Out

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RX366 9 MHz Out
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 18:10:40 -0500
That's a rather presumptuous thing to say, Andy. Not to make too fine a point of it, but I make decisions in this regard that please me. Therefore, what anyone else thinks, or might think, of it isn't particularly relevant to what I decide.

But, since you asked, I'll address your question. I tend to keep radios a long time when I like them. I like the O II and I know TT will support it for quite a while, yet. I have a TS-930S, long since a fossilized horse. Yet, long after it was out of production, I bought a PIEXX microprocessor board for it. Then, in a fit of unparalleled irrationality I bought an INRAD roofing filter for it!

But wait! It gets better. I have a Hammarlund HQ-170 receiver that I have used since I was first licensed as WN5CLC in 1970. My dad (W5JHJ SK) kept it in pristine condition from the day he bought it in 1959. I have continued the tradition and have spent money on it for various replacement parts. I also have a WRL Globe Champion 350, also my dad's and that I used since I was licensed. I've actually modified it to make it more robust, have improved the power supply, and added fuse protection for the LV supply transformer.

But the peak of insanity lies in my purchase, restoration, use and continued maintenance of a 1946 Cessna 140. That airplane was out of production in 1949! The engine hasn't been made by Continental motors for decades. What must I have been thinking?!

Economically, it's all quite silly. But it also makes me very happy.

So, why do spend the money, time (my only nonrenewable resource), and effort on all these "dead horses?" Because, as far as I can tell, they are still quite animate and keeping them around and caring for them gives me great pleasure.

73,

Kim N5OP