Re: [TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 09:28:07 +0300
On 5/22/2014 7:28 AM, TTMaven wrote:
Your comments fit with my take... after attending the Homeland Security Forum at Dayton last week. The government workers are getting ham licenses. They think that gives them training as radio operators. It appears they will be in charge, and we must work for them. Not that is all bad, but we will not be in charge. The image of the ham operator showing up to save the day is long gone already. Hams "might" be used as auxiliary operators, when there are not enough trained government guys, and hams will be working for the govt boys - not the other way around.

The original idea behind ham radio was to create a pool of trained radio operators in case of rapid need, e.g. war. It was not for fun, it was not as a hobby, and it was not intended to create a group of technology experimenters that it became later.

That is why called the Amateur Radio Service.

In other countries it is a sport (e.g. the Soviet Union), or an almost ignored hobby, e.g. Israel. My SWAG is that here in Israel, there are as many people with old Motorola and new Baofeng radios illegally using them on PMR446 (the EU equivalent to FRS), and the "American" frequencies (FRS and GMRS) as active hams on UHF and almost as many as on VHF. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
Jerusalem Israel.