Re: [TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.
From: TTMaven <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 00:28:15 -0400
Your comments fit with my take... after attending the Homeland Security Forum at Dayton last week. The government workers are getting ham licenses. They think that gives them training as radio operators. It appears they will be in charge, and we must work for them. Not that is all bad, but we will not be in charge. The image of the ham operator showing up to save the day is long gone already. Hams "might" be used as auxiliary operators, when there are not enough trained government guys, and hams will be working for the govt boys - not the other way around.

In one case scenario, the total involvement of ham radio was to inform the government guys where to put their temporary repeater in the local hills - hams had no other input - and the rest of the story was about how the AuxComm leader deployed and gathered up a pile of radios and changed frequencies every day.

Somebody asked about how hams would fit it... and he said the government guys were getting ham licenses. I don't have any problem with the notion hams must take orders and directives from the government men in charge of disaster relief... you can just picture how some well-meaning but pushy hams think THEY can just ride up and take over the communications game and that is pretty unrealistic ... but beyond that, it appears the role of the ham may be rather limited if the government boys all have radios, and all we do is advise them where it would be best to set up.

In any case, the image of ham radio saving the day is fading fast.
The govt boys seek to be self sufficient.

Just MY take, anyway.