Re: [TenTec] The Next Flagship

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Next Flagship
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 12:06:30 +0200
Jim,

I agree with all of that, but you leave one point out.  "Openwire."
As you well know, the impedance of an openwire dipole varies from band to
band and can be all over the map, up to a couple thousand Ohms.

If you check the specs on any high power remote tuner, only one that I know
of (ridiculously expensive) can tuner anything higher than 1200 Ohms.  Most
stop at 800 or even 600.  THAT is why I said the manual tuners are better.
Of course it depends on which manual tuner.

I was thinking in terms of matching range, not efficiency.

Yes, the Elecraft tuners are tops.
However Kenwood did have one good tuner in its TS-850.  Was nearly as good
as the Elecrafts.
All others I know, before and after are as you described.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)