Re: [TenTec] limited to one antenna

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] limited to one antenna
From: TTMaven <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 22:19:28 -0400

On 5/23/2014 8:23 PM, Paul DeWitte wrote:

As far as an 80m dipole being directional on the upper bands, if you
have your resonant 10,15,20m dipole up high it will also be directional
broadside. So what is the difference? Maybe just not the direction you
want.

I take your question to be: what is the difference between a big dipole that can work the upper bands, and a smaller "resonant" dipole that is cut for one or more upper bands, respectively. (By "resonant" I presume you mean a half-wave dipole.)

Rick taught me an important lesson about long dipoles vs short dipoles. Joel Hallas teaches the same lesson about big vertical antennas in his series of articles on vertical monopoles which appeared in a couple issues of the 2013 QST magazine.

        The longer the element is relative to the
        frequency, the more lobes it tends to have,
        and the radiation pattern varies, as well.

Joel Halls refers to this when he discusses the 43 foot vertical antennas in QST magazine last year. At 80, 40, 20, and maybe 17 meters, it tends to have lower take off angles and fewer lobes. But, as you use it on 12, 10, and maybe 60 meters, the take off angle rises, and you tend to get more lobes. In comparison, a shorter ground plane for those upper bands will have fewer lobes and lower angles.

The long dipoles exhibit a similar phenomenon. As you use a very long dipole on the upper bands, you tend to get more lobes and a different radiation pattern. In contrast, a shorter dipole, cut for each band, respectively, will tend to have fewer lobes and a more rounded, better radiation pattern.

I believe the charts in Section 2.1.4 Effect of Frequency on Radiation Pattern (page 2-9 of the ARRL Antenna Book (22d Ed) show various radiation patterns for various frequencies of a fixed length dipole. As you get more lobes, you lower peak gain and end up with nulls that may mean you don't hear the DX as well in certain directions. Of course, some patterns may help matters, others will not.

In Chapter 10, on page 10-20, it says about 43 foot vertical multiband antennas:

        In recent years, the 43-foot ground-mounted vertical
        antenna with an automatic antenna tuner at the base
        of the antenna has become very popular as an all-
        band HF vertical...  while the elevation angle of
        maximum radiation begins to increase significantly
        above the 20 meter band, the combination of
        simplicity and clean appearance make up for the
        compromise.  ...

Joel Halls told us in his QST series of articles, that as you use those antennas on the upper bands - i.e. 17 meters and higher - you also get multiple lobes in addition to how the elevation angle rises, so you may be better off with a smaller, dedicated, tuned and "resonant" ground plane cut for the upper bands, than to try to use the big stick on the upper bands. Rick has reinforced these observations for me on several occasions.

Thus, while matching the antenna to the transmission line and rig is one important consideration, the radiation pattern is another.

I think is explains the difference in the two types of antenna. Of course, if you only have room for one antenna, then the long, multi band all-in-wonder is what you use!

Happy trails.