Re: [TenTec] Trading radios

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Trading radios
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 20:18:23 -0500
Regarding coaxial cables, RF current flows on the outer skin of the center conductor and on the inner skin of the shield. Thus the reason for silver plated center conductors and silver plated shield material. As to coaxial cable radiation, this is largely dependant on the percentage of shield for the specific cable. For that reason, tightly shielded application requirements will use double shield silver plated cables such as RG-9. Lines made using solid aluminum outer conductor or copper outer conductor are known as "hard lines" and offer theoretical 100% shielding.

<quote>
"The currents in coaxial cable flow on the outside of the center conductor and the inside of the outer shield." ARRL Handbook, 2014, page 20.2.

<quote>
"Common-mode currents are conducted and induced into the outside of the shield of the feed line, which in turn radiates." ARRL Handbook, 2014, page 20.17

My earlier statement regarding using "a 1:1 common mode choke" is a 1:1 current balun at the feed point to attain a balanced to unbalanced condition for a center fed dipole with a coaxial feed. This is immediately followed by a common mode choke at the feed point to account for any natural unbalance of the installation.

With a true flat top dipole and the feed line exiting precisely at 90 degrees from plane, there is little current induced in the coax feed. However, any angle departure from 90 degrees, including that of a so called inverted V, is likely to have significant common mode current induced into the feed line. With the proliferation of inverted V usage, largely to ease of installation, we see a notable increase in common mode current issues.

<quote>
" Reducing common-mode current on a feed line also reduces:
* Radiation from the feed line that can distort an antenna's radiation pattern
* Radiation from the feed line that can cause RFI to nearby devices
* RF current in the shack and on power line wiring
* Coupling of noise currents on the feed line to receivers and receiving antennas
* Coupling between different antennas via their feed lines"
ARRL Handbook, 2014, page 20-18

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>