Re: [TenTec] Mega Sale Pricing

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Mega Sale Pricing
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 16:08:43 -0400
HEY!! Your reply induced me to re-visit TT's web site, and I see they provide instructions for adding a 9 MHz output, but I am not too keen on modifying a rig under warranty... Still, there IS IS a way to do that ... provided I am willing to modify the rig once I get it.

Shoot... maybe I will try it. The instructions are very clear and the mod, itself, appears very easy to do. That would give one as much power as a Flex receiver... but with a complete radio interface, knobs, buttons, display, etc., as a travel rig! Cheap second receiver with panadapter screen... plus it is a complete portable QRP rig.

How is that for value?

Hmmm....

I think I would add the Telepost LP-Pan instead of the P3.

The LP-Pan costs around $250 and is complete in itself, providing a computer screen size image. The P3 costs around $750 last time I looked, and it has a rather smallish screen. The optional P3VGA module costs another $280 - plus the cost of another computer screen - before it shows as large as the LP-Pan on my computer screen - WOW... that is more than $1000 compared to $250 for essentially the same result!!!
Ouch.

Of course, part of my conundrum is the fact that, beyond the cool factor, the panadapter is really a solution looking for a problem, and probably would not substantially alter my operation. Will it really enable me to make more contacts? Will I be able to SEE rare DX in the wake of a powerhouse flame thrower? Can one really see the rare DX stations better than one can hear them tuning slowly across the band? I looked all over the Internet for photos of big contest shacks, and found only ONE showing a panadapter or spectrum scope, but it was part of a larger logging and control program, so I doubt the operator was relying on the scope display to locate other stations. So, I wonder if it will really improve my score, or is it just a really cool thing to have ? Because it IS way cool looking and fun to use.

Thanks for the push on it! Now, I gotta decide how badly I want one ... versus getting that new macro lens for my camera system ... and... and...