Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC

To: ac5aa@ac5aa.com, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:45:15 -0400
There's a couple of reasons why there were no Flex radios in the contest.

1) The older Flex 5000 and 3000 suffer from what Rob calls the "Field day problem". This is when very strong signals from very close stations cause the front end to collapse. The Flex 5000 and 3000 have this problem.

2) This is fixed in the Flex 6000 series but the operation of the Flex 6000 series is so different that it will take a few years before world class operators have used them enough to be comfortable with them.

The Flex 6000 series offers a big advantage in the ability to not only see the band you are on but also monitor other bands so you know when to change bands. I do believe in the next WRTC 4 years from now, you will see some people using these new radios.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com