Re: [TenTec] Comparing Radios

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Comparing Radios
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:50:47 -0400

Like they say about grocery stores:   DARE TO COMPARE.

OK, There is often a delicate balance, difficult to maintain, when discussing competing cars, cameras, guitars, radios and other stuff men used to define themselves.

Accepting the car analogy, it is considered rude and inappropriate to a guy to join a Camaro Club and trash-talking the Camaro and extoll the virtues of the Mustang. This is tantamount to singing, "My girl is red hot, your girl ain't diddly-squat" in a taunting manner. ;-)

In contrast, it is NOT rude or inappropriate to discuss and compare Camaro and Mustang specifications, performance test reports, and feature sets. It would be unmanly and chicken s... to adopt a rule one may praise the Camaro and disallow any comparison to competing products. Better? How much better? In what way better? Compared to what? And Camaro owners should not complain if someone mentions another vehicle has better performance specifications.

Similarly, it not rude or inappropriate to make a valid comparison between any TT radio and a competing product on this reflector, especially when the comparison is based on specifications and performance test results. It is, however, inappropriate to promote or give a sales pitch for another rig, or merely trash talk any without reference to specifications, performance test results, or feature sets. And, we should not complain if any TT model comes out on the short end of the comparison.

Sometimes we might think a member has crossed the line between comparison and sales pitch. In any case, we should be open to comparison. It would be meaningless to just stand around patting ourselves on the backs for owing TT radios, without comparing the competition, and proving the relative value we perceive. It would be unmanly to ban comparison because we are worried the competition may came out ahead.

Recently, a member asked which he should buy, the 590 or the Eagle. That sparked a comparison of features sets and performance specifications, and it got fairly detailed and involved. That fostered a discussion about the validity of certain performance factors. That, in turn, morphed into a discussion about what data is truly available, whereupon it morphed, further, into a discussion about the validity of the testing protocol. Now we are collecting and correlating data to demonstrate the actual capabilities, and relative performance, of our TT radios against the competition, and debating the validity of the test protocol as we go. I cannot think of a more appropriate topic for the group.

And we should be manly, and not complain, if our favorite TT radio does best the competition on all points. Discussion should not be limited to what makes us feel good.

We should do as the grocery store ads say... DATE TO COMPARE.