Re: [TenTec] Hercules 444 amp

To: "ac5aa@ac5aa.com" <ac5aa@ac5aa.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules 444 amp
From: Robert <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 22:38:54 -0400
Best experience and best advice is to ways tune the amp for max output while
keeping drive and loading such that maximum recommended plate current and
maximum recommended grid current are not exceeded even for a brief moment.
Then if one wishes to operate at less power, reduce drive but do not touch any
TUNE or LOAD control.

Also make sure you know the antenna or load is good (low SWR). before one
activates the amp.

I find that many "grounded grid amps" are not true grounded grid amps but have
the grid above ground by a resistor bypassed with some value of C.  In some
instances a RF choke is used with some value of  C. These designs are easier to
build with less protection ckt required but have much higher likely hood of
instability. A VHF oscillation will quickly destroy a band switch and in doing
so will exceed greatly the grid dissipation of the tube(s).

The correct solution is to take all grid pins to ground, 3 of them, using a
1/4" wide copper strap at each one that is less than 2" in length.  Some
adjustment in bias may be required to attain correct idle current.  One will
then find the tuning to be much smoother and flash overs will greatly diminish
if not completely disappear.

73
Bob K4TAX

Sent from my iPhone