Re: [TenTec] Eagle Tuner

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle Tuner
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 19:53:12 -0400

On 9/9/2014 4:51 PM, Carter wrote:
If the *noise* is "noticeable[y] quieter, 1 to 2 S units", wouldn't the wanted *signal* also be down 1 to 2 S units?

Hi Carter --

I liked you question, and ponder... suggest... er... just thinking out loud...

I wonder if the important or operative concept is "signal-to-noise" ratio. Consider Beverage antennas. They have much weaker signals, but also much lower noise factors, and make great receiving antennas. I suspect (i.e., guess) some thing similar is happening in Bob's case.

A tentative theory: (i.e., wild guess) = If BOTH signal and noise are reduced, then the resulting signal seems stronger compared to the noise. Say, you have a signal level of of 8 S-units and a noise factor of 5 S-units, then you have a ratio of 1.6; but lowering each by three S-units, assuming some sort of linearity between the two, you get a ratio of 2.5, so the signal level seems stronger relative to noise level.

OK, Maybe it just seems that way. I am sure there is a mathematical or electrical fallacy lurking in the weeds, and I recall Jim Brown trying to explain a similar fallacy regarding the effects of the RF-GAIIN control... which I am still trying to wrap my head around... But I have not forgotten it... so, at least it SEEMS OR APPEARS to have a better signal to noise ratio, (remember the Beverage antenna seems to work this way) and that would be an advantage.

OK...  just a stab in the dark, the usual disclaimers apply.