Re: [TenTec] Eagle Tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle Tuner
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 22:44:36 +0200
That is an excellent setup, John.  Nice choice.

I'm a friend of that antenna too and have used it most of the time for the
past 50 years.

Can't run openwire at this QTH so I had to develop a different antenna that
works all bands with coax, no matchbox - except of course to tune across the
entire 80m band.

The 238 is a great matchbox.  I have one too.  Used to use it with openwire
with a home-brew balun built after a circuit recommended to me by Bob
(K4TAX).

Your description of the balun isn't enough to say whether or not it is OK;
it's not just a matter of having a big core inside, it also counts "how it
is wired".  Being "Military" is meaningless.  The military bought a lot of
bad stuff as well as good stuff.  But if you are not having any problems,
then it is probably OK.

On bands it won't load, simply add 1/8 wavelength of additional feedline and
I'm certain you will find that it then loads OK.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)