Re: [TenTec] Argo V and digital modes

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argo V and digital modes
From: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:33:50 -1000

A simple sine wave is called a tone, even when it is a radio frequency
sine wave. So CW and FSK both send a single RF tone. With FSK the tone
frequency changes, but at any given time it is just one tone. Yes a tone
IS being transmitted, and no it did not originate as an audio frequency
tone input to a phone transmitter. (although some rigs do generate CW
that way.)

With only one tone there can be no intermodulation distortion, at least
not that will pass through the bandpass filters in a normal transmitter.
Any intermodulation distortion products would be separated by an amount
equal to at least the operating frequency. For example there could be
intermod products of the fundamental and the second or other higher
harmonics.

Perfectly sinusoidal AFSK tones sent by a perfect SSB transmitter, with
perfect level settings would be indistinguishable from "real FSK." In
the real world that perfection is never achieved. The AFSK tones are not
perfectly sinusoidal, the SSB transmitter has some carrier and opposite
sideband leakage, so there can be some IMD.

DE N6KB