Re: [TenTec] Amp switching

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Amp switching
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:58:33 -0500
John:

Certainly not a topic out of order. It is one that raised several good points about interfacing the Eagle to an amp. Be it a QSK amp or a non-QSK amp. Just remember the old adages "one can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear".

From my take, the Eagle is not suitable to work with an amp in true QSK
mode. However, just as my old Yaesu, it works semi break-in quite successfully when driving the amp.

From experience, 100 ms I view to be a bit short to keep the relay clatter
down. Others may have different views on timing. My method holds the Ameritron AL-80B amp relay closed for near 300 ms. I do not work QSK so it is no issue with me. It also approximates my VOX Hang time for SSB so I get a double bang for the buck.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "John F." <k4avx1@windstream.net>