Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI illness

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI illness
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:42:47 -0500
The board will need to be removed from the radio. It is a tight fit between a shield and the back panel. Both top and bottom covers will need to be removed as well as the bracket that supports the speaker. Everything plugs in and cables are or were or should be numbered. Take care in removing the relays. Too much heat and one will lift the solder pads, creating another issue to be resolved.

Yes, either K4 or K5 can be bad, i.e. open coil is typical. There could be other issues not causing the relays to switch for those 2 bands but it is more common for the coil on a relay to open. One relay being K5 switches the input to the filter section from the PA and the other one K4 switches the output of the filter section to the TR relay. Both 15M and 17M use the same filter section.

Yes, you can remove one relay and measure that one. Then you can measure the one remaining on the board. As my luck goes, the one I remove is always the good one.

If you don't have a schematic, I suggest you obtain one. The 564 manual is available for download on the Tentec Website under DOWNLOADS and then Obsolete-Manual-Downloads. Scroll down to the 564 and click on the link to the right that says 564 Manual.

See page 4-3 for the schematic of the Low Pass Filter board.

73
Bob, K4TAX

DISCLOSURE:
All opinions expressed herein are solely those of K4TAX and do not reflect opinions, ideas, policy or practice of other persons or companies including Ten-Tec / R F Concepts.

This is to inform all persons I am a Ten-Tec Ambassador and I receive compensation according to the Ten-Tec Ambassador program. In addition, I serve as a volunteer beta test person to Ten-Tec for the Omni VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI radios. I am not an employee of Ten-Tec and hold no employment relationship, no financial or other interests, nor do I conduct any commercial business, direct or indirect, with Ten-Tec.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Edwards" <kd2e@comcast.net>