Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 15:38:02 +0100
GM Barry,

Remember the title of the thread:  "New radios in the future"

For my type of contesting, I don't need to make any move right now.
A radio won't help; a new QTH where I can put good antennas is all that will
help my contest score right now.

But when I do need to a new radio, I want to move forwards, not backwards.
I had two Orions, 10 years ago.
I find contesting easier with the Eagle than with the Orion.

The reason:  the huge Orion set on a riser above and behind the laptop and
it was a long reach to hit the knobs.  I used the remote POD for tuning
which made things easier.   With the Eagle, the entire radio is so small, is
sits right next to the laptop. I can easily change anything I like.  Much
more convenient.

As for the future, I've been following test reports and seeing thing going
in a totally new direction of knobless radios - so far without me.

My Eagle is not going to last forever and at roughly $300 per round-trip
across the pond, it won't be returning to Sevierville for repairs very
often.  If I wait 5 more years, I may not want to embrace a new learning
curve.

I have always had at least two transceivers.
The plan is to get something like a 6300 and move the Eagle to the
portable/backup rig position (currently occupied by an FT-900, which will
find a new owner).

I don't have any urgency but I do want to move in this direction.

You will see my predictions come true:
There will be all sorts of shapes and sizes of human interface devices (or
whatever the industry decides to call them).
We will be able to use them with most new knobless radios.
And we will see many more new OEMs emerge offering this new knobless radio
engine.
Competition will go up, prices will come down rapidly and technology will
continue to advance.

Hi ho Silver away!  ;-)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

WE ASKED FOR WIRELESS KNOBS;  THEY GAVE US KNOBLESS WIRES!