Re: [TenTec] Contesting Now On 17 Meters?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Contesting Now On 17 Meters?
From: "Mark N5MF" <n5mf@dfn.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 20:31:50 -0700
Well Said.

N5MF

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Jones" <ko7i@comcast.net>
To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 5:32 PM

Recently I hosted W1AW/7 from my station on both 30 and 17 meters for W1AW/7 WA CW mode only. Based upon the original date of the complaint - most likely I'm one of the op's that you-all are whining about.
I was on 30M CW 11/16/14 0000 - 0600Z.
I was on 30M CW 11/18/14 1400 - 1600Z
I was on 17M CW 11/19/14 1600 - 2200Z
When I attempted to operate simplex on 17M I was greeted by jammers exhibiting their roots going back to 11 meters with dead key carriers on my transmit frequency. My simple solution was to operate split (up 2) and I was pleasantly surprised to see my qso rate go up to 90 to 100 qso's per hour from the 75 to 85 qso's per hour. The jammers failed to realize that when a "DX" station operates split on 17M the jammers are immediately neutered, they are not affecting the W1AW/x station and they were not affecting those attempting to work W1AW/x. And if the jammers go up 2 the "DX station" will spread the pile out and continuing to ignore the jammers. My Omni 6 with Inrad CW roofing filter mod is extremely effective and I had no problem working around those who were attempting to jam my operations. I have received multiple reports of jammers attempting to disrupt the W1AW/x SSB operations too. The W1AW/x stations are extremely popular with the ham radio community as a whole. The most recent Washington state activation resulted in over 42,000 qso's for 7 days of operating. Bottom line, I think the anti-W1AW/x CQP crowd are the ones who need to do some house cleaning. And for those of you who have not had the thrill of operating as W1AW/x in your home state, SEEK OUT THAT OPPORTUNITY! Contact your ARRL Section Managers, they will put in touch with person who is coordinating the W1AW/x operations for your state. They need your help - in particular on the WARC bands! For CW Op's I argue and fight to the bitter end that running split U2 is the proper way to maintain control of a CW pile up when things become unruly.

Don KO7i