Re: [TenTec] OMNI 5 GOES DEAD ON 40

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI 5 GOES DEAD ON 40
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:35:58 -0500
The battery backed up RAM in the Omni V does not use the battery. It uses a RAM chip with a built in internal battery that cannot be changed. These chips were made many years ago with 10 year life lithium batteries in them. You can possibly buy a new one but even the new ones are more than 20 years old and their internal batteries might also be bad.

The 40 meter problem is most likely the 40 meter crystal. When I had my Omni V I found that I could adjust the trimmer on the 40 meter crystal and make it run. I ended up with about a 2 khz frequency error on 40 meters but it worked. My N4PY Omni V ship has a setup for recalibrating in software and this solved my 40 meter problem. But your battery backed up RAM chip may not be as easily solved.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com