Re: [TenTec] Orion II

To: k5iid@sbcglobal.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II
From: John Bescher via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 12:58:15 -0400
"Better late than never".....it was a sad day for me when Tentec stopped
manufacturing the Orion II.  I have one and have enjoyed it immensely.

Of course it depends where you are coming from...dark ages of an old Icom
735....or more modern rigs.  I had a Yaesu FT1000D which I thought was the
'cat's meow'.  When it was replaced by the Orion II, well, night and day, a
significant upgrade and capability.

A big plus was when I interfaced my Orion II with my PC using N3FJP
software...full mode and frequency control by the PC, with an interface to QRZ
and spotting Web sites, I see DX calls on my PC, click, my Orion II changes
frequency, and there's the DX!  A quick call and there's another DXCC, like
shooting fish in a barrel.  Same thing with CW operations and all the exchanges
and serial numbers generated by N3FJP....the whole contest goes by without me
touching the paddle.

Although it is no longer in production, I'm keeping my Orion II and look
forward to a long friendship with a solid and full featured transceiver.  It
will take a much improved and vastly upgraded new rig to lure me away from my
trusted and valued Orion II.

73...John Bescher, N4DXI