Re: [TenTec] Centaur Tubes odd ones in parallel

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centaur Tubes odd ones in parallel
From: Mike Schatzberg <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 10:12:57 -0600
Actually, I tested many of his concepts on my SB 220 which I built around 1967
or so. I do not ascribe to them all. His theory on VHF parasitic oscillation
has remained a topic which is still controversial and debated to this day.

I did discovered something of interest to perhaps only myself when I read last
night his circuit improvements compendium on the SB 220. He had changed the
wattage of his grid equalization resisters to 1/2 watt and added some
dissipation protection as well.

I wrote to Mr. Measures years ago, regarding his grid fuse concept, which he
advocates for additional tube protection. I told him that the original wattage
he used, 1/4 watt I think, was really too low. I also told him that I generally
thought that resisters make poor fuses even if they are flameproof.

I recommended that the value be changed to a 1/2 watt, and forget the grid fuse
concept and just go with RF negative feedback and grid equalization which I had
decided to use.

Well, last night that is what I found in his circuit description. While he
still talks about grid fuses, they will not open without being seriously over
driven.

My SB 220 was a great test bed for lots of experiments. Many of the concepts
were so easy to apply and evaluate. My own QSK systems that I use today on many
ceramic triode conversions were adopted from my Heathkit test bed. I have
modified many models of Alpha and Commander amplifiers which are in use in many
places today.

As they say, one well designed experiment is worth a hundred expert opinions. I
generally don't offer opinion but rather test results.

Sorry for the bandwidth. I know the moderator will be tolerate however.

73 and Happy DXing,

Mike
W2AJI
Owner Ten Tec Reflector