Re: [TenTec] Using a Yamaha CM500 headset with TT Orion II - advice need

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using a Yamaha CM500 headset with TT Orion II - advice needed!
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 05:17:11 -0700
On Wed,4/8/2015 2:22 AM, Steve Ireland wrote:
My current set-up isn’t working (sounding) well and the best thing seemed to be
to ask for some advice.

I'd guess that you're not using enough bias. Elecraft and others use 5.6K between V+ and the mic.

You may also be wearing the mic too close to your mouth. It will sound better if you don't "close-talk" it. That will also reduce the level -- like RF, sound drops by 6 dB for a doubling of distance.

I wear my CM500 mic about 2-3 inches above and to the side of my mouth. This prevents bass build-up from close-talking, reduces the level a bit, and, more important, allows me to drink coffee and have an occasional munch. :)

That 470/220 ohm pad may be the cause of your distortion -- the mic probably wants to see a higher Z load (like the 5.6K resistor). You also probably don't need the cap. Check the schematic -- I'd be VERY surprised if there isn't one inside the box at that point. Remember that electret mics have been commonly used in ham radio for a couple of decades, and rigs are built to expect them.

I don't know the Orion, but Ten Tec was born of an engineer from the pro audio world -- he started Ten Tec when he sold Electro-Voice -- and they have always built radios that are quite tolerant of a wide range of mics. I've used pro mics with my Omni V and they sounded great.

73, Jim K9YC