Re: [TenTec] Field day antennas

To: tentec@contesting.com, k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Field day antennas
From: Don Jones <ko7i@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 07:29:30 -0700
It is hard to debate and discuss typing with one thumb onto a cell phone.
At field day we use a tri-plexers to drive a trip band yagis and have found the
use of coaxial stubs to be extremely helpful. Long before W2VJN's NCJ article I
was doing exactly what he recommended. I use exclusively double 1/4 wavelength
shorted stub networks with a 1/6 wavelength coupling cable between the two
stubs.
I have gotten into the practice of fabricating 1/8 & 1/4 wave coax cables 2
each of each type for every stub network.
A 20 to 30 ft long coax cable is placed between each tri-plexer port and the
stub networks. We then add the other cables as needed for our field day
deployment. Our standard setup is a 20M stub network on the 20M port of the
tri-plexer to prevent 2nd harmonic overload on 10M. On 15M we use a 40M stub
network to null 20 & 10 meters. The 40M network will pass 15M with minimal
insertion loss. The 10M tri-plexer port is driven directly if the band is open.
This arrangement has allowed us to use of medium grade radios with dynamic
ranges in the 70's to 80's. I myself have had outstanding success using my Omni
6 with the 500hz INRAD filter mod.
This year for field day we will be using Elecraft KX3's and making a run at 2A
qrp from a secret mountain top in EWA. We just scouted the QTH on Friday it has
a 3,000 foot drop off to the SE - NE.  You look down to the horizon. We are
very excited. This year our callsign will be W7TST 2A EWA. (maybe 3A)
73, Don KO7I