Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters-- Poly Phaser resou

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters-- Poly Phaser resources
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 21:46:39 -0500
If you bond your station to the very same ground that your antennas are grounded to, you are inviting lightning right inside your house. It's going to follow that #6 or #4 wire right to your equipment tearing up everything in its path. Bonding all grounds right to your house ground makes sense electrical, but when 100,000 volts at no telling what amps hits that antenna or tower it is going to follow that ground wire right through your house until it gets back to the house ground blowing up everything in its path. GROUND GROUND GROUND your antennas, but no way will I ever again have a station ground bonded to the same ground as the ground rods of my antennas. Matter of fact, as I stated earlier, I have no station ground. Disconnect coax OUTSIDE & you will not have to worry about lightning coming in through antenna.

Now a broadcast station that is running 24/7 yes, massive grounding and bonding everything even the metal building. But for ham radio operator that knows better to operate in a thunderstorm, bonding and grounding to keep his station on the air would cost more than all his radio & gear is worth.

If your house is not wired correctly & lightning comes in then you are in deep trouble with home owners insurance because it doesn't meet code. My late father was a state electrical inspector & you wouldn't believe some of the stuff he saw electricians try and pull in wiring homes.

Here is the article again about station grounding.

http://www.eham.net/articles/21383

As far as insurance, all my equipment is on a separate policy wrote for ham radio. Home owners insurance are sometimes not friendly with ham radio equipment because they don't understand it. They see a radio & think OK that is worth $500, instead of $5000. Then they go off the deep end & look for ways of not paying or jack your rates up. Had that happen to a ham friend.

Here is the NEC link if bonding your station is what you want, but for me, I disconnect coax, unplug DC input from power supply to junction box & flip a master switch that turns off AC to power supply that is plugged into a APC UPS. It has worked for 24 years & we get hammered in middle TN with storms. Lightning is going to have to come through roof to hit my gear, but it is not going to come though a #6 ground wire.

http://www.joneseducation.com:8080/xyleme_cre_player/courses/ncti/ep1101_01_dt/Scorm2004Content/media/DirecTV/Grounding/NEC_Section_810_Excerpt.pdf

73,
Reed  W4JZ