Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters-- Poly Phaser resou

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters-- Poly Phaser resources
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 03:28:18 +0000 (UTC)
Reed my friend, we are simply going to have to agree to disagree.

You have simply been very very lucky, and all you have to do is
forget to do all of your steps (which I noted you have had minor
damage there several times to some gear) and then what?

You can't predict storms 100% here as to when they will show up.

If your system is a single coax to a vertical, then I guess if
you want to play the odds, have at it, some day it may bite.

My being lucky ran out, and as I shared I paid the price not only
as to insurance rates, but also other household damage from thinking
the rules did not apply to me as to proper station grounding.

I would not wish that experience on anyone, nor will I post blind
advice that may cause others to suffer similar damages.

Since all of the work to get re-insured and at reasonable rates,
no damage and I don't run around worrying "Did I remember to pull
everything" or "dang it, I am not home sure hope nothing bad
happens 'cause I didn't remember to disconnect the ..."

In my case there were multiple towers, rotors and yagis with phased
verticals on the lower bands. Way too many lines to be hooking up
and disconnecting every day. It's best to do things right on this.

Others have provided references if you want to study them, or QST
has had several good articles, especially those by Block several
years ago. The are practical simple steps take can be taken on this.

Be very very careful taking "ham lore" at face value, as it won't
be worth a rubber nickel if you have damages. So be very careful.

That does not mean it's all wrong, but it may not be 100% right,
and it's YOUR gear, house, insurance that will take hit on this.

What destroys much gear is having independent grounds, where ALL
of your system pieces rise and fall at different potential rates.

A common Single Point Ground reduces those differences and helps
to reduce the related damages. I think even Steve mentioned that.

Likewise the proper ground rods, interconnects, and so on allow
the SGP system to divert much of the charge into the actual ground,
exactly as broadcast stations and emergency communications do it.

If the 'best ground' in your antenna system is your actual house
ground ... well, think about that ... and whose fault is that?

The towers here and vertical arrays have ground rods, radials, and
copper straps in to the ground to also help any induced charges.

Unless you are going to disconnect ALL, every wire, of your cable
TV, AC mains, telephone lines, etc ... you ARE bringing into the
house the potential of damage as your AC line/etc. have grounds.

So you do have a inside/station ground unless you are on purpose
not using the '3rd wire' at all. In reality most of us DO use it.

I wish and hope your luck continues, but to state that is all that
anyone has to do may end up being expensive ham lore to others.

Have a great day there!

73 de Billy, AA4NU