Re: [TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:05:26 +0200
Jim,

Congratulations on your excellent placing in the contest.
Somehow I just can't get interested in low band contesting during the
summer.
Once it turns cold (which is about a month away) I will come down out of my
antenna field and get back on the air.

That was indeed interesting about changing the choke.
Ever since reading your "RFI-Ham", I have always broken up my coax with
multiple chokes.
Perhaps that's part of the reason that I haven't fried my mid-sized balun.

I don't run 1500w because we're only allowed half that much power here.
There is probably a significant difference between running 1500w and 700 or
less watts.

I agree that if you are going to run very high power, you should be running
antennas designed to better cope with that.  The Windom is usually chosen by
people with limited space, living in congested areas.  It is a compromise
antenna.  Most of these people do not run such high power.  I certainly
would not when using an OCFD.

Cost of Ferrite here in EU is indeed a problem. It's getting better.
The prices are coming down, especially if you buy in quantities.
I order my private ferrite together with Spiderbeam when they place larger
orders.

GM3SEK has suggested another method to save on ferrite cost.  It uses the
principle that W2VJN described in the 2010 ARRL Handbook.  I don't know if
there is a special name for this kind of choke.

Ian divides the hf spectrum up into 3 segments, low bands, mid-range bands,
and high bands.  He uses multiple loops of coax through 2-cores (high bands)
or 3-cores (both other chokes) chunks of ferrite.  These are large and ugly
but cheap; about $3 apiece.

I built the mid-range bands and high bands versions and tested the mid-range
version in my CMC test in 2013.  In that test I compared it to 3 other
chokes - a fairly simple Maxwell, a Radio-Works T4, and a home brew 1:1
Guanella on a #43 core toroid.  I wanted to see how these different
technologies compare under real life field conditions.  (EXACT details of
everything is on my web)

In order to do that, I did something insane; I pulled the coax into the air
to the same height as the antenna, then pulled the coax to one side so that
it was almost running parallel to the leg of the antenna.  Common Mode
Current shot up like a rocket!

I measured the common mode current produced by running 100w into the antenna
and recorded its value.
The measurement was taken at the transmitter.
Then I inserted each of the 4 chokes just before the transmitter, one after
another and measured CMC again (and recorded).

I was able to see how effective each choke was in reducing the CMC.
In each configuration, besides measuring the CMC, I also scanned each ham
band with my analyzer so that I could visualize the impact the CMC had on
the SWR curve as well as "perceived resonance."

I repeated this test with different antennas and using several different
baluns in the antennas.
Altogether I made about 500 measurements of CMC, along with corresponding
SWR curve.

Under these circumstances, the Maxwell was worthless, the T4 just a tiny
tick better.
As Ian says, these are only good for cases of "soft CMC."

The Guanella completely eliminated the CMC in all cases on all bands.
The GM3SEK completely eliminated the CMC in almost all cases, but in a
couple of cases, for instance where I was running a single-core 4:1 Guanella
balun in the OCFD, Ian's choke had around 10mA of residual CMC.  This small
amount of CMC has no negative impact.

So the Guanella won by a nose but it was darn close.
That was 2013.  In the meantime the price of ferrite has fallen and #31 has
finally become available.
I find it easier to wind a Guanella than the SEK chokes so everything I have
built since then has been a Guanella.

One of the interesting things I learned is that the CMC on the fundamental
of an OCFD antenna was always a magnitude higher than it was on any of the
even harmonic bands, and the upper bands - under normal circumstances, had
hardly any CMC at all... when running 100w and a decent balun.
Exception:  The 3rd harmonic had CMC that rivaled that measured on the
fundamental.
I am clueless as to why, but I did learn to design the choke's peak CMI in
the range between the fundamental and the 3rd harmonic.  THIS is why I
switched from #61 to #43 ferrite in my baluns for 80 and 40m OCFD antennas.

BTW, when taking this "worst case" CMC measurement, I also used a half
wavelength of coax which is the length where CMC is usually the highest.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  ALL tests were made on 40m dipoles or OCFD antennas.

This summer I have been testing 80m OCFD antennas and am already noticing
significant differences.
Solutions that worked on the 40m OCFD (i.e. resulted in no measurable CMC on
the feedline), are inadequate on an 80m OCFD.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)