Re: [TenTec] The OCFD Mystique

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The OCFD Mystique
From: "Tony Lelieveld" <va3dwi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 01:59:34 -0400
Hi Joe,
In 1989 I used that kind of antenna for about a year (before I put up a tower with a tribander) and it was quite useful on 20 mtr. I had a regular schedule with my brother in New Zealand, ZL1BVE now a SK, on Friday evenings on 20 mtr. Whenever I worked him on the beam I switched to the Windom antenna and it worked very well. Obviously signals were down compared to the beam but it worked. I ran the wire from a hydro pole at the curb at the street side to a tree in the back yard. It passed over the peak of the house and at the back of the house I soldered a wire to the horizontal part, about 1/3 away from the end. This wire dropped straight down, entered the house through a hole in the window sill and was attached to the "wire" terminal on an MFJ tuner. For the ground, on the tuner, I had a wire go through the same window sill and connected to a 15 foot long 2 inch wide strip of Copper, buried about a foot down in the soil. I don't even know how long the horizontal part of the antenna was, I guess maybe 120 some feet, but it worked fine on 80 and 40 mtr. Had to be cautious at times while tuning for not to get too much RF in the shack though. Now we live in the country and my wire antenna is a double extended Zep up 50 feet and fed with ladder line directly to a Ten-Tec 238 tuner. Works wonderful on all bands.
73, Tony VE3DWI.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Papworth via TenTec" <tentec@contesting.com>