Re: [TenTec] The OCFD Mystique

To: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The OCFD Mystique
From: "Barry LaZar" <k3ndm@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 14:30:57 +0000
 Rick,
You may be correct about the very early work on the Windom, but later on it was definitely accepted as a multiband antenna. However, in those days we only had 15 meters that was not an even multiple of 80 meters; I'm not including 11 meters as I'm not sure how many hams really used that band seriously.

When the crowd set out to discover where and how to feed an antenna, there was little or no understanding of SWR. It was demonstrable by using leacher lines, that instrument before the slotted line, but few cared from my reading. The concerns were RF in the shack and successful loading of the final amplifier meaning impedance matching the plate circuit to the antenna system. Nothing else seems to have been addressed, not even feed line loss in those days.

I still stand by my comments about the Windom, OCFD, and dipole being the same antenna with different feeds. The are 1/2 wave, Hertzian antennas. Ergo, there patterns must be the same except for the perturbation cased by the feed.

Any antenna has a standing wave on it. If it is a 1/2 wave, there is a current loop at its center, meaning that is where the impedance is lowest. And, there is a voltage loop at its end meaning this is high impedance. I can feed an antenna any where along its length and hit any impedance I want from very low to high. That means I can hit the 300 or 200 Ohm spot on the antenna. Whether I use a 4:1 or a 6:1 balun in my design is a function of what I infer the feed impedance to be considering where I feed the antenna and its height above ground.

You are correct about concern for common mode currents. I do use a 4:1 current baluns which we bought for our FD operation. We got them from Balun Designs. The other alternative is to use ferrite or powdered iron RF chokes to keep common mode currents in their place. I've also used coax windings on PVC pipe as a choke. that works pretty well also. In fact, I make this recommendation to those of you who are reading this and have a shack RF problem use a choke outboard of your shack to help. Just make sure it can handle the power level you are running and at high SWRs; a 1KW rated choke when you are running 100 watts should suffice.

73,
Barry
K3NDM