Re: [TenTec] Replay to Rick regarding the Eagle

To: "'John King'" <k5pgw@yahoo.com>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Replay to Rick regarding the Eagle
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 07:57:54 +0100
John,

I didn't mean that kind of RF choke.
I mean a Maxwell or Guanella choke.

A Maxwell choke is the kind where there are large ferrite beads slid over the
outside of the coax, then they are covered with heat-shrink tubing.
A Guanella choke is where coax is simply wound for a certain number of turns
around a big ferrite toroid.

Every time I get anything strange happening in the shack, the first thing I do
is connect one of these Maxwell chokes to the transceiver.

Some companies sell these and call them "Line Isolators", but those who call
them that are asking 2x or 3x as much money for them as you need to pay.  A
good one costs $29 and is available from the WIREMAN, Model No. 8231.
On this page:  http://thewireman.com/baluns.html#854
Note:  click on the little eye just next to the part number and you will be
shown a page with pictures.  It is the piece of coax with beads on it.

No guarantee that this will solve that problem but it is something one should
always use anyway.  It often results in a quieter reception because it helps
remove noise picked up by on the outside of the coax that was generated from
household consumer products.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)