Re: [TenTec] Bad Capacitors (WAS: Orion II master resetting each turn on

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bad Capacitors (WAS: Orion II master resetting each turn on)
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:23:24 -0600
I think the reason Ten Tec its so adamant about having people routinely do the
capacitor change is that, when the suspect capacitors fail, it us usually
without warning and can be quite dramatic, causing irreversible damage to PC
boards. Also, likely inhaling the results of the vaporization of the chemicals
in the capacitors is not in one’s best interests either. Therefore, to avoid
possible liability issues, Ten Tec has chosen the path of strongly encouraging
this upgrade even if the radio is working fine.

In reality, I agree with them on their approach, though I wish they would be
forthcoming as to the reason and admit that they too went with “the lowest
bidder” on these capacitors. That openness would probably encourage more people
to do the work as a preventative measure instead of waiting for the inevitable
failures to take place.

Going forward, every Orion I pass through my buying and selling business will
get this upgrade before leaving my hands, just for the added safety level it
offers for my buyers.

Gary