Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII RF gain frozen

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII RF gain frozen
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 11:10:17 +0000
Another possibility is that the plastic nut that holds the encoder shaft
collar to the small PCB is overtightened.

My understanding is that Ten-Tec no longer has original encoder
replacements and they would want to replace all the encoders at the same
time because the shaft lengths of the new encoders they use is slightly
different than the original.

I ended up doing it myself (all six on the Orion) and did a write-up at:
http://www.tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=565enc using $1.85 Bourns encoders
from Mouser.

I replaced them all and I'm not sure whether the replacement encoder shafts
were the exact same length, but they were close.  My replacement encoders
had detents because the Bourns encoders without detents are not readily
available in the US.  The issue with detents is that the Ten-Tec firmware
detects on multiple transitions per detent so you have to turn carefully
between detents (it's possible) to get very small changes in settings.

73, Barry N1EU