Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 156, Issue 4

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 156, Issue 4
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 13:58:04 -0600
>Sadly, Rob and Jim are right. The numbers are there, but the activity isn't.
>Case in point, tonight, 40 and 80 cw are ghost towns. 160m has stns piled on
>top of each other for the arrl top band contest, but on 80 and 40 tonight
>there's nothing to be heard.
>Sometimes I fear that when I am finally able to retire in 10 years or so to
>the hamshack, there won't be anyone left to talk to.

The same thing has crossed my mind Jack.  Or given the stampede to SDR
rigs, class D boxes, the latest XQP3000 rig blah blah, there won't be
anyone left who can converse and understand all vacuum tube gear.
Class C CW rig?  807?  What's that?  You mean you have a separate
receiver and transmitter?  You actually know CW?  Why? and so on.  I
see ignorant comments in QST almost every month regarding what I do:

"At one time, hams manually tuned their transmitters."
"In the old days, hams ran separate transmitters and receivers."

Well, we have to just take the days as they come and see what happens.

73

Rob
K5UJ

p.s.  I'll had yacht owners to my list of phony hams.